Friday, May 4, 2012

The beginning

Since I was about 8 years old I have always loved going to Hokohoko shops, though I was brought up in the North Hokianga, my home was about a 45 minute drive away from the closest town, we had a shop and pub and every so often the Josephites had opened their St Vinnies Thrift shop, to us the Hokohoko shop. Filled with second hand goods, fill a bag for 50 cents, bargains galore, all the things I wish I had brought, what was even better was our money was also going towards a good cause. I've always remembered the smell of that shop, it’s the same as every other Hokohoko shop I've been too, it reminds me of home. I am sad to say that this particular hokohoko shop is no longer in existence, as the Sisters of St Josephs no longer have a physical presence in the area. However I have heard talk that a family have volunteered to carry on the service.  So it was the existence of this Hokohoko shop in our rural community that nurtured my love for Hokohoko shopping.

This is where the Josephites lived for many year, the Hokohoko shop use to be downstairs in their double garage, later on they built aye small garage at the back.


From what I remember this is exactly the same sign as they use to have.

I am living in Auckland now and everytime I see a Hokohoko shop I am there, I usually look for things that appeal to me, I haven’t started collecting things, I will buy things I like at bargain prices and as I am big, bold and beautiful, clothes racks recently haven’t been things I have been bothered to look at, but I should. I love the thrill of bargain hunting, but I have found over the years that they have been overpricing things and feel that I can go and get something brand new for the same price. However my recent visits to local Hokohoko shops, show that prices are dropping and I am bargain hunting more frequently, which is the reason I have decided to start this Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment